Skip to main content Skip to footer content

NYS Grants

New York State Financial Aid Program for Full-Time Study

The Jose Peralta Dream Act

The Senator José Peralta New York State DREAM Act gives undocumented and other students access to New York State grants and scholarships.

If you attended or graduated from an NYS high school, attended an approved NYS high school equivalency program, or received an NYS equivalency diploma, you may be eligible for financial assistance via the José Peralta New York State DREAM Act.

The DREAM Act provides access to the Excelsior Scholarship, the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and other state‐administered grants and scholarships. To apply and review the eligibility requirements, please visit

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a New York State-funded grant program that helps pay the tuition of eligible full-time students. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back. If you receive a TAP award, the money comes directly to the college for payment of your tuition.

Program Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have been a New York State resident for at least one year prior to the date of your registration; if you are not sure, check with the Registrar's Office, Room A-101.
  • All Students must register for 12 or more credits in their major concentration for both sessions 1 & 2 by the end of the add/drop period of session 1. For the add/drop period deadline, view the academic calendar for the corresponding semester.
  • You must be enrolled in a degree program (i.e. "degree student," "matriculated" status); if you are not sure what this is, check with the Registrar's Office, Room A-101.
  • You must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits/contact hours within your curriculum (major). If, during your final semester, immediately preceding graduation, you take a minimum of 12 credits with at least a minimum of three credits in your major, then you will have satisfied the "12 credits within your major" requirement.
  • You must have a minimum of three (3) academic (college degree) credits as part of your full-time credit/equated credit load if you are a first-term recipient; then six (6) academic credits each term thereafter.
  • You must be a US citizen or qualifying non-citizen.
  • You must have a New York State net taxable income of less than $80,000 for dependent students, less than $10,000 for independent students*
  • You must not be in default of a State or federal student Loan
  • You must maintain an approved rate of progress.
  • You must maintain a minimum, approved grade point index.
  • You may not receive more than six (6) payments while enrolled in a two-year program, EXCEPT if you are enrolled as a College Discovery or Bilingual (Special Programs) student.
  • You must demonstrate financial need by submitting an application once EVERY AWARD YEAR while you are enrolled at Kingsborough Community College.

*For the 2024-25 Academic Year and onwards you must have a New York State net taxable income of less than $125,000 for dependents students, less than $30,000 for independent students.

Final Year of Study 

Traditionally, students are required to be enrolled as a full-time student taking twelve or more credits applicable toward their degree program, per semester, to receive a full-time TAP award. New York State provides two exceptions in determining TAP eligibility for students in their final year of study: 

  • A student is considered to meet the full-time study requirement in their last semester if they take at least one course needed to meet their graduation requirements and enrolls in at least 12 credits.
  • Additionally, a student is considered to meet the full-time study requirement in the semester prior to their last semester if they take at least six credits needed to meet their graduation requirements and enrolls in at least 12 credits.

Students must complete the coursework taken in the “semester prior to their last semester” and remain on track to graduate in the "final term.”

If a student fails to complete the necessary class(es) or decides not to graduate while using this eligibility exception, that student will not be eligible for NYS Financial Aid the following term of enrollment.

TAP counselors will review student records to determine student eligibility in their final year of study. Students may also contact the office of financial aid and speak to a TAP counselor regarding award eligibility in their final year of study. Students must meet all other eligibility criteria that apply to the NYS TAP award program. Additionally, there is are no final year exceptions for Part-Time TAP awards.

Where could I go for more information about my TAP award?

The HESC Customer Communication Center can be reached by telephone toll-free at 1-888-NYS-HESC (1-888-697-4372) or 1-518-473-1574. If you are contacting HESC about your NYS financial aid, you can reach them by scheduling a call with a representative at

To obtain a quick estimate of your TAP award: TAP Award Estimator
To check on your TAP application: Click Here
To find out about other state-sponsored scholarship resources: Click Here

New York State Financial Aid Programs for Part-Time study:

Part-Time TAP

Part-Time TAP is a New York State program that allows for partial TAP payments for students taking 6 to 11 credits. This program is available to CUNY, SUNY and Not-for-Profit independent degree granting college students who meet the specified requirements.

In addition to the general eligibility criteria that apply to all NYS award programs, certain requirements are specific to the Part-Time TAP program. To be eligible, students must:

  • Be matriculated and enrolled as an approved undergraduate student
  • Be enrolled for at least 6 but fewer than 12 credits applicable toward the degree program for the term in which the student is applying
  • Maintain a C average and good academic standing requirements
  • Meet income eligibility limitations (income limits are the same as for TAP and are determined by New York State Higher Education Services Corporation)
  • Students must be pre-registered for Winter and/or Summer sessions by the 7th day of the Fall and/or Spring Term. For Part-time TAP, students must be enrolled in at least one course that runs the length of the 12-week Fall and/or Spring sessions.

A Part-Time TAP award is based on the full-time tuition charge and prorated for the number of credits a student is taking.

To apply students must complete a FAFSA and a TAP application. For additional information, visit HESC - Part Time TAP.


Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) is a New York State grant program for students pursuing a degree on a part-time basis. It is money paid to the school for tuition only. Because APTS is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

To be considered for an APTS award, YOU MUST be:

  • enrolled as a part-time student (6 - 11.5 credits),
  • registered for courses in your major/curriculum,
  • a citizen OR qualifying non-citizen,
  • a resident of New York State,
  • NOT in default of a Federal Student Loan,
  • in need, i.e. have a New York State net taxable income of $50,550 or less, for dependent students, or $34, 250 or less, for independent students,
  • maintaining good academic standing,
  • achieving a "C" average after the second academic year.

Non-Degree Part-Time Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Provides a tuition award for part-time students enrolled in eligible non-degree workforce credential programs at participating SUNY and CUNY colleges.

For additional information please visit our TAP for Workforce page and HESC

The Effect of Program Changes and Withdrawals on TAP Awards

If you withdraw from the College during the refund period or drop below 12 credits, you may utilize a portion of your TAP award against your tuition liability (tuition balance). If you withdraw after the refund period, the full semester's TAP award will be used. In either case, you will have used up one full semester's worth of TAP eligibility (at a two or four year-college).

If you make any program changes, make sure to maintain the required number of academic credits in your major in order to qualify for your TAP award

If you withdraw from all courses in a given semester and opt to use TAP to pay your tuition, you will lose TAP eligibility for the subsequent (next) term of attendance, except if you have applied for -- and received -- a one-time waiver. (See TAP Wavier)