Skip to main content Skip to footer content

Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for steps on how to apply for Freshman Students

Click here for steps on how to apply for Transfer Students

The CUNY priority deadline for the Fall semester (which starts in September) is February 1st and the priority deadline for the Spring semester (which starts in March) is September 15th. However, KCC does accept late CUNY Applications during our Direct Admissions time  period  after the CUNY Application is no longer available. 

For more information, please visit our  How To Apply Page 

Direct Admissions is the period after the CUNY application is no longer available. This allows applicants to apply exclusively to KCC for the upcoming semester. Our Admissions Advisors will assist you with the application and determine your acceptance to KCC.

You should apply as a freshman if you have never been to any post-secondary institutions nor registered for or taken any classes after completing high school or gaining a high school diploma

You should apply as a transfer student if you have registered for classes, completed any amount of coursework, or attained any degree after high school (in the US or outside of the US).

While you cannot meet with an Academic Advisor prior to applying to KCC, you can sit with an Admissions Advisor one-on-one to go over all the necessary requirements and answer any questions that you may have prior to applying.

KCC accepts all freshman applicants as long as we receive proof of high school graduation. There is no specific GPA required for admission. KCC does not require any standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT. Transfer applicants will be accepted if they have a 2.0 GPA or higher. Any transfer student with below a 2.0 GPA will need to contact the college directly to see if their application may be reviewed.

KCC’s New Start program is a rare opportunity for a student who is in academic jeopardy to begin their college studies with a clean slate, a second chance. If you have never attended KCC before as a matriculated student, and if you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, and you have a grade point average that is below a 2.0, you might be eligible for admission into the New Start program

In order to apply as a non-degree or non-matriculated student, please follow the instructions on the the non-degree application page.

If you were previously attending KCC and left without the completion of your degree, you are a readmit student!

If you already completed your degree at KCC and looking to come back, you are a Transfer degree student!

Yes, you may. If you are accepted by the college, you will be able to take the CUNY Assessment Test in Writing (CAT). Based on your score, you may be placed in appropriate remedial courses to improve your English skills. Once you have successfully passed these remedial courses, you will be able to move on to accredited courses that will work toward your degree. Additionally, KCC offers CUNY Start and Immersion programs for remedial courses, as well as the CLIP or KELI program for students for whom English may not be their first language. 

Yes, you may delay or defer your acceptance for the upcoming semester by contacting the Admissions Office at

Please see the KCC Enrollment Checklist: Freshman | Transfer

Freshman students can request CUNY fee waivers from their counselor/college advisors at their high schools. A very limited quantity of CUNY fee waivers are provided to high school counselors/college advisors to be distributed to current students with the most financial need. Once the high school’s supply of CUNY fee waivers is exhausted, no additional waivers will be provided.

Transfer students who previously attended another CUNY college during the previous or current semester may have their application fees waived. Please contact the Admissions Information Center to see if you qualify.

Additionally, undergraduate applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty or members of the National Guard or Reserves may obtain an application fee waiver.

All transcripts must be official in order to complete application requirements. Official transcripts come in sealed envelopes directly from the high school or college and are usually signed or sealed by a school official.

Please send your documents directly to CUNY via postal mail. The address you send your documents to will depend on whether you are applying as a freshman or transfer applicant:

If you are applying to CUNY KCC online, please send your documents via postal mail here:

Freshman Admission
[Your name + EMPL ID number]
P.O. Box 350136
Brooklyn, NY 11235-0001

Transfer Admission
[Your name + EMPL ID number]
P.O. Box 359023
Brooklyn, NY 11235-9023 

If you are applying to CUNY KCC Direct Admissions, please choose one of the following:

  • Official transcripts (not opened) can be submitted in person to an Admissions Advisor

  • Official electronic college transcripts can be sent to

  • Official transcripts can be mailed to:
    Kingsborough Community College
    Admissions Office Room V-101
    Brooklyn, NY 11235

Students with foreign documents looking to complete Direct Admissions should have all of their documents translated and evaluated. In order to do so, please choose one of the following services:

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants:

Transcript Research:

In order to verify the status of your application, you may check your CUNYfirst account online.
You may also reach a KCC admissions representative to obtain the status of your application by calling (718-368-4600), e-mailing (, or visiting Room V-103.

After you are accepted and have submitted all required documents, you will be able to make an appointment with your Academic Advisor to receive assistance on your degree choice, course selection, and registering for classes through your CUNYfirst account.

Apply to ASAP by contacting the KCC ASAP Office. If you are a New York City resident and are eligible for in-state tuition, and are in good academic standing, you may be considered for admission to ASAP. You must agree to study on a full-time basis, which entails taking at least 12 credits per semester, not including the winter and summer modules, and must declare a major that is ASAP-approved. You can reach out to KCC’s ASAP office at (718) 368-5616 or by e-mail at

You can complete the ASAP Interest Form by clicking the following link:

Kingsborough Community Colleges’ new KCC FLEX is college your way — anytime, anywhere. It’s an affordable, flexible way to earn a college degree that fits your lifestyle. Learn more about KCC FLEX here.

Please contact the International Student Affairs office upon your acceptance at or visit their website

The F-1 visa/status (International Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program.

Note: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are not considered an international student.

Full-Time Status = 12 credits/credit hours or more

Part-Time Status = 11 credits/credit hours or less

Credit hours are important with remedial courses. Remedial courses do not carry credit but they are counted as credit hours for financial reasons. The average student needs to take 15 credit hours each semester, or 30 credits per year in order to graduate with an Associate degree in two years. For more information, please see:

If you have any additional questions, please contact KCC Admissions at or 718-368-4600.