What is CUNY Start?
CUNY Start at Kingsborough Community College is a low-cost, intensive program that serves as an alternative to traditional remedial classes. CUNY Start offers rigorous, semester long academic preparation in math and reading and/or writing. In addition, students attend a weekly college-readiness seminar to help them develop their academic identity and learn about college structures and campus resources. The program costs only $75, including all books and materials, and allows students to save their financial aid for credit courses. Total savings range from $1,660 to $2,940, depending on your remedial needs.
Why Choose CUNY Start?
- Become English and Math proficient in one semester
- Only $75 so you can save financial aid for credit classes - savings range between $1,600 - $2,940 depending on your remedial needs
- Spend fewer semesters in remedial classes
- Two opportunities to meet proficiency in one semester
- Learn in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Work with a CUNY Start Advisor to plan your academic future
Application & Eligibility
Who Is Eligible for CUNY Start?
Students who have been accepted to Kingsborough Community College, need developmental support in both English and Math, and can demonstrate a commitment to an intensive academic schedule are recommended to apply for the program.
How Do I Apply?
All interested students should visit/contact the CUNY Start Office located in the T4 building, room 4122. You can contact us at email@example.com or 718.368.4500.
STEP 1: Meet with a CUNY Start Team Member
Schedule an appointment to meet with a CUNY Start team member. We will review your CUNY Proficiency Index and discuss the benefits and details of the program.
If you are interested and want to enroll in the program, we will conduct a one-on-one interview to discuss your educational goals, assess your ability to commit to the intensive academic schedule, and determine if you are a good fit for the program. Candidates will be notified at the end of the interview of their acceptance status
STEP 2: Submit the Online Intake Form
Interested students must complete the CUNY Start online intake form.
STEP 3: Register for the Program
Once accepted into the program you will need to pay the $75 program fee and submit proof of high school graduation. The fee can be paid by cash or money order.
Class Schedule - CUNY Start Program Option for Spring 2020
Full-Time Program: Math, Reading and Writing
- March 5, 2020 – August 6, 2020
- Monday through Friday | 9:15 am 3:00 pm
- Program includes weekly advisement and college success seminars
Monday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Wenddy Zepeda, Director | firstname.lastname@example.org
- ChanTareya Moore, Administrative Coordinator |email@example.com
- Aleah Huggins, College Assistant | Aleah.Huggins@kbcc.cuny.edu
- Sabah Aljahmee, Math Instructor
- Taneka Evelyn, Math Instructor
- Colin Bosio-Cady, Reading/Writing Instructor
- Roald Johnny, Jr., Math Instructor
- John Kearney, Math Instructor
- Vicky Musto, Math Instructor
- Kristina Pantaleo, Math Instructor
- Daniel Sidman, Reading/Writing Instructor
- Jia Ying Wu, Math Instructor
- Abigail Murphy
- Laura Wang