-Lymphatic System Problem Page-
1. Choose one of the problems described below.
2. Prepare your solution as a word document.
3. Send it to your professor as an email attachment. You will receive an email response.
Problem #1:Bancroft's filariasis is a mosquito-borne infection that causes a condition called
elephantiasis. Utilize the Internet or other sources to answer the following questions:
1. Describe the life cycle of the filarial worms that cause this condition.
2. Describe the normal role of lymphatic channels in the circulation of plasma proteins
through the body fluids.
3. Explain how the filarial worm disturbs the normal flow of lymph.
4. Explain why the term "elephantiasis" is used to describe this condition.
5. What treatment options are available.
Problem #2: Some lymph nodes are sometimes removed when an individual undergoes surgery for cancer.
Utilize the Internet or other sources to answer the following questions:
1. If an individual has lymph nodes removed during cancer surgery, which nodes are
removed? Why only selected nodes and not all of them?
2. How does the structure of a lymph node and the lymphatic channels draining a local
tissue create a situation that appears to necessitate node removal during cancer surgery?
3. What is the relationship between blood, interstitial fluid and lymph? How closely
related are they?
Email your Professor at firstname.lastname@example.org