Kingsborough Learning Center Tutoring -FAQ’s
What is live online tutoring?
- Live online tutoring utilizes internet-based software where a student can sign-up for a virtual tutoring appointment with a KBCC tutor.
What software/online platform will be used to deliver the online tutoring?
- We are using Zoom to deliver the live online tutoring sessions.
- The Math Multiple Repeater Workshop Biology 11/12 Supplemental Instruction and TEAS Prep Workshops will be using Blackboard with Collaborate.
How do I sign-up for tutoring?
- Step #1 Go to https://inside.kingsborough.edu/
- Step #2 Enter your Username and Password
Username is your first name.your last name and last 2 digits of your emplid Ex:Steve.Harris19
Password is the first initial of your first name capitalized, and the first initial
of your last name, not
capitalized, and the first 6 digits of your emplid. Ex:Sh104302
- Step #3 Click the icon that says “Tutoring” for all subjects other than Writing. Click the Writing Tutoring icon for Writing based tutoring
- Step #4 Select the course you want tutoring in
- Step #5 Select the day & time
- Step #6 Confirm appointment by putting in your email & phone number
- Two minute instructional video on how to sign-up for tutoring: https://inside.kingsborough.edu/TutoringStudent.mp4
What subjects are available for online tutoring?
- Almost all KBCC courses will be available via online tutoring. Log-in to your inside.kbcc account to view the full tutoring schedule.
How many subjects can I receive tutoring in each semester?
- You can receive tutoring in up to 2 subjects per semester and a total of 4 hours per week (2 hours per subject).
How is tutoring assigned?
- Students are placed with a tutor based on the student’s availability and on a first come first serve basis, through the online system. You are signing up for a weekly appointment that will last the entire semester.
Can I cancel my tutoring session?
- Yes, if you no longer need the tutoring, or need to change the time. You can log-in to your account and click cancel appointment.
Is the tutoring offered individually or in a group setting?
- For most subjects, students are placed in a small group setting. Usually 3-4 students per group. The Writing tutoring will be an individualized tutoring session.
Is there an attendance policy?
- If a student is absent 2 consecutive times or 3 random times, the student will be dropped from tutoring. It is in the student’s best interest to email KLC.KCC@kbcc.cuny.edu and provide a valid reason for their absence in advance.
Who are the tutors?
- Our tutors are required to have a 3.5 GPA or higher, and have received an A in the course they are tutoring in. The tutors also come highly recommended by a faculty member and go through a rigorous hiring and training process. For certain courses, the tutor will be a Professor or a faculty member.
What are the tutor’s responsibilities?
- Discussing class material and test questions
- Tutors will help student to understanding and making sense of concepts, theories and principles
- Tutor will help to organize ideas and to help students communicate effectively in formal and informal writing
- The tutor’s questions are meant to help you collaboratively generate ideas together
What can’t the tutor do?
- The tutor will not do your homework, exams or fix your paper
How should a student prepare for an online session?
- Ensure that you have a good internet connection.
- Reserve a quiet space away from distractions.
- Come to the tutoring session prepared with questions and material to discuss with the tutor.
What are the hours tutoring is available?
Fall & Spring Hours:
- Monday-Thursday from 9:10 AM – 7:30 PM
Friday from 9:10 AM - 3:00 PM
Winter & Summer Hours:
- Monday-Thursday from 9:00 AM – 6:30 PM