The Testing Office
Monday - Friday
Contact: (718) 368-4975
The Testing Office is responsible for:
- Administering a variety of exams,
- Including the Accuplacer ESL test
- Ability to Benefit (ATB) test.
CUNY Proficiency Requirements: The City University of New York (CUNY) requires all students to demonstrate proficiency in English (reading and writing) and math in order to enroll in credit-bearing courses in the associated subject. Students may establish proficiency in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, meeting benchmark scores on the SAT, ACT, and New York State Regents exams.
Starting with the spring 2020 entering class, students who do not meet benchmark scores will no longer be administered a placement test; rather, CUNY will use a proficiency index to determine developmental education assignment. The proficiency index combines overall high school grade point average with SAT and/or Regents exam scores. There are separate proficiency indexes for English and math.
English as a Second Language (ESL): Applicants who have spent at least six months or more in an institution where English is not the primary language of instruction, or took ESL classes in high school, are flagged as potential ESL via the CUNY admissions process. ESL applicants who meet the CUNY benchmark scores on the New York State Regents will be deemed proficient in English and/or math, regardless of where they attended high school. ESL applicants who do not meet the benchmark scores in math will be assessed via the proficiency index in math. For English proficiency, ESL applicants will be evaluated in the following way:
- ESL applicants who do not have a New York State English Regents score will not be assessed via the English proficiency index. Applicants will be required to take Accuplacer ESL to determine reading and writing proficiency and appropriate course placement.
- ESL applicants who have a New York State English Regents score will be assessed via the English proficiency index. Applicants who do not meet the English proficiency index benchmark score will be required to take Accuplacer ESL to determine appropriate course placement.
Once you are accepted to Kingsborough, you will be contacted with information on how to complete the Accuplacer ESL test.
Exemption information is available on the CUNY Website, which you can access by clicking below.