ESL PEER MENTORS
Who are ESL Peer Mentors?
ESL peer mentors are students who have been trained to help their fellow ESL students with academic and personal adjustment to college. They occupy leadership roles on campus and serve as role models to other students.
What does an ESL Peer Mentor Do?
- Assist the counselors teaching the SD-10 course that is part of the ESL Learning Community Programwith various class related activities (e.g. lead various types of discussions)
- Help your ESL freshmen understand topics covered in the SD-10 class such as time management, study skills, CUNYfirst, choosing a career, etc
- Assist in ESL conversation groups
- Participate in ESL class visits/presentations, ESL class advisement/registration sessions, workshops, fairs, and outreach projects
- Assist ESL students and counselors during freshmen orientation
- Be in contact throughout the semester with a small group (designated ESL class) of ESL freshman students
- Discuss opportunities and campus resources that are available to the ESL community
How will becoming an ESL peer mentor benefit you?
- It is work experience that you could include in your resume and will be recognized by future employers or colleges
- It provides you with excellent experience speaking and presenting in front of groups of students
- It helps you to improve your leadership and communication skills and strengthen your ability to work as part of a team
- As part of your training, you will receive information on various topics to enhance your knowledge and skills
- Through helping others, you will have the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally and utilize your own experiences
What are the requirements for becoming an ESL peer mentor?
- Have successfully completed at least one semester at Kingsborough Community College
- Have at least a 2.5 overall GPA and demonstrate the following: professionalism, good communication skills, strong sense of responsibility, and desire to help others
- Complete an application and participate in an interview
Where do you go for more information on becoming an ESL peer mentor?
If you are interested and would like more information, please call Counseling Services at 718-368-5975 or come to the D-102 office to complete an application form.