Mental Health Field Internships
As a Mental Health and Human Services major, part of your degree coursework includes the fulfillment of 2 field internships, MH9801 and MH9802.
These fields are designed to give you direct experience in a variety of mental health care environments. When doing your field, you will be working in a real facility and with real people, much like you would as a mental health professional.
Field Internship Descriptions (under construction)
Some of your placements can be work with:
Schools for the developmentally disabled
Substance Abuse counseling
Domestic violence counseling
Fields are available during all semesters and modules.
During the fall and spring 12-week semesters, fields take place during these times:
- Tuesday, 9:00AM-3:00PM
- Friday, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
- Saturday, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
- Tuesday & Thursday, 3:00PM - 6:00PM
During the winter and summer 6-week modules, fields take place during these times:
- Tuesday & Wednesday, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
- Express (3 weeks): Mo/Tu/We/Th, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
To register for a field, you have to go through the Mental Health office.
- The semester BEFORE you want your field, go to the Mental Health office, Room D313
and fill out the Field Internship Sign-Up Form(hyperlink to 2012-11-08 - Field Signup
Form_distributed.pdf). You can also click on it to print it out and hand it in.
- We assign you to a field. We consider your preferences as best we can.
- We will contact you over email to tell you which field you can register for.
- After we tell you which field you are in, go back to the Mental Health office, Room
D313, to get the code to register for your field.
- Register for the field using the code we give you.
- Check to see if your field requires a packet of forms to fill out BEFORE the field
- Get your immunization records from KCC Health Services, Room A108.
- Have your physician fill out your basic health information
- Some fields require that you get 2 PPD (Tuberculosis) tests, which happen a week apart.
- Some fields require you bring the forms
- to the Mental Health office, Room D313 by a deadline OR to the first Field orientation meeting of the semester.